Puerto Portals 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week & TP52 20th Anniversary Invitational 2021 Starts on August 24th and brings the action back to Palma Bay.
The regatta has attracted 16 boats from 12 different nationalities and will celebrate 20 years of the TP52 class with seven invited boats of different generations racing on the Bay of Palma alongside the nine 52 SUPER SERIES contenders. Zer°emission is attending the regatta as one of the seven invited and representing Finland first time ever in this world’s leading grand prix regatta.
TP52 20th Anniversary Invitational Fleet:
(Team, Owner, Nation, Designer)
- AIFOS 500 – Ricardo Alvarez-Maldonado Parames (ESP, Farr 2005)
- AIR IS BLUE – Roberto Monti (ITA, Judel Vrolijk, built in 2008 as Audi Q8)
- AROBAS – Gérard Logel (FRA, Botín, built in 2009 as CAM from ETNZ mould)
- BEAU GESTE – Karl Kwok (CHN, Botin Partners, built in 2018 as Onda)
- BLUE CARBON – Toni Guiu (ESP, Botin Carkeek, built in 2005 as Balearia)
- MACCHIA MEDITERRANEA – Giampero Russo (ITA, Reichel Pugh, built in 2008 as Artemis)
- XIO – Marco Serafini (ITA, Botín Partners, built in 2011 as Quantum Racing)
- ZERO EMISSION – Samuli Leisti (FIN, Reichel Pugh, built in 2008 as USA-17 / Oracle)
The road to Puerto Portals has not been an easy one, as the team and the whole world continues to struggle with COVID-19. The team has come a long way from Gotland Runt to Baltic Ocean 600 and then shipping the boat to the mediterranean waters where the first regatta really was a struggle, leading to mast repair in Palma Mallorca. After hundreds of hours of hard work once again, the boat now lies in Puerto Portals ready to Race!
Sustainability in the core of the 52 SUPER SERIES
At any one regatta, the 52 SUPER SERIES brings together 400 people – a mixture of staff and sailors – to one location for a full week of high performance sailing. So, in 2015, the 52 SUPER SERIES made a commitment to introduce new initiatives that would start to change the way that staff, sailors, marinas and yacht clubs would interact with the environment whilst on-site. This conscious shift in thinking was further refined in 2016 and 2017, when key team members of the 52 SUPER SERIES operation aggressively targeted the core elements of the event: the water supply, waste policies, food provision, fuel usage, materials and transport.
The collective mission of the 52 SUPER SERIES is to:
- Implement and encourage environmentally responsible actions and initiatives from management to participants.
- Follow, adopt and promote local recycling guidelines.
- Strive to reduce waste of all types, adopt a sustainable procurement code, choose environmentally friendly products, upcycle and repurpose where possible.
- Progressively reduce its environmental footprint via practical and meaningful steps.
Read more about the Sustainability acts and how to participate at: https://www.52superseries.com/sustainability/
The 52 SUPER SERIES remains the world’s leading grand prix monohull first-past-the-post sailboat racing. The 2021 season comprises three regattas starting 24th August in Puerto Portals and ends in Palma in November. Now, entering its tenth season with the strongest fleet ever, the 52 SUPER SERIES continues to offer 24/7 access to the action and information via the 52 SUPER SERIES App.
Follow the 52 SUPER SERIES on: